Saturday, February 21, 2009

Coming out of the dark


I think I may be coming around the bend on this whole grieving process. I still miss Bailey like crazy...but I don't seem to cry as often. Only when certain things pop up and sometimes it still hurts to come home to an empty house.

I did have an interview last week with the South Eastern Virginia Golden Retriever Rescue group to see if I would be a good candidate to adopt a puppy from a litter that was born 3 weeks ago. There were 70 golden retrievers rescued from a puppy mill in Suffolk Virginia about a month ago. The story is sad ....but I think I may be able to give one of those goldens a good home. It just might be what I need to heal my heart.

I have still been running and I think it's getting a little bit better. I don't dread it as much and I don't get as emotional. It's been the longest and hardest 3 weeks of running and to top it off....I hurt my right knee a little bit at the last distance series....so I have been battling a bit of an injury. To top that one off....I caught my third round of the funk. No surprises there though...we had an epidemic flu outbreak at my school where 10% of our kids were out all in one day not to mention all the teachers including Running Buddy who got the stomach flu version. I just have the upper respiratory annoying stuff. To top of Running Buddy's woes...she fell hard like I did when Bailey died. That's a true friend....one that grieves right by your side.

We finished the last of the Tidewater Distance Series tune ups today. It was a 30k.....Running Buddy and I started together but she dropped back around mile 10 to about a 9 minute mile while I kept up the 8:30 with another runner who was pacing us.

Today's run was a success and morale booster. We averaged 8:36 for the 30K. The route was hilly and long so I feel good about today's pace. I haven't been doing any track repeats because of my knee but I have kept up with all the long runs and the mid week tempos. Last Saturday, I finished a 20 miler at 8:40...so I haven't lost too much considering I cut back miles and have missed 3 weeks of track repeats. It's all still up in the air.

Thanks to all my blogger friends who were so compassionate in your comments regarding my dog Bailey. He meant the world to me and my life hasn't been the same since he died. But I am so grateful for all the kind comments and prayers. Hope you all are having great runs and races and I should be back in action before too long. Only one more week to taper madness!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

I have still been thinking of you EVERY SINGLE day! I am glad to hear that some of the heaviness is lifting...it doesn't mean you have forgotten or gotten over it. Time heals all wounds. So cliche', but so true!
I have really missed your blogging. Glad to see you back! Kick ass girl!
XOXO...

joyRuN said...

Great job on your run! I was thinking about you today on my run, ironically enough, as I thought about the work it takes to kick @$$.

I hope you get one of pups rescued.

Aron said...

glad you are starting to feel a little better... just takes time. good luck with the puppies!!

GREAT job on your running too! sounds like its going great even with the knee... hope that gets to 100% soon!

The Laminator said...

Glad you're starting to feel a little better. The running helps and you're doing a great job of it!

Felice Devine said...

Glad you are starting to feel a little better. It's a long process and you'll miss him always.

TERRIFIC job on that 30k -- wow!!!

Sam said...

Sounds like your running is coming along VERY nicely as well as your sadness maybe starting to lift.
Been sending nothing but uplifting thoughts. I hope you get one of the pups!!

Hang in there! :))

"Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim."

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

Hone said...

The marathon is coming up quick.

I am happy you are starting to feel better and coming out of the dark.

Also what is tapering and does it help?? If so I need to try it sometime.=)

Crackhead said...

Glad to hear you are doing better. It sucks losing a pet so much. You will do great in your marathon!

Summer Vacation