Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yuck




This picture pretty much sums up how my run went yesterday. I didn't exactly puke....but my stomach didnt feel too well.

I had planed to do my long run of about 10 miles yesterday but the weather has been awful this weekend. I was staring at the radar all morning looking for a window of opportunity to get the run in before the next down pour.

Finally, late in the afternoon I gave up eyeballing the computer and geared up for my run. After the first 2 miles, it started to pour down rain.

After 3 miles, my right earbud to my ipod quit. And its still pouring and now Im soaked. I decided not to go 10 miles but maybe just 5.

But the rain stopped and I had one working earbud. I decided to go 7.

After 4.5 miles I get a stomach cramp....and my shoes feel like brick sponges. It starts pouring again and my ipod quit.

After 5.2 miles, I have a cramp in my stomach so bad I have to stop. Am I actually getting runner's trots?? I NEVER get runner's trots!

I start to run after the cramp subsides. It starts pouring down rain again.  I see another runner with his dog at mile 5.8 and he says "Sure does feel good doesn't it??" Right....

I hit 6 miles and now Im praying that I can make it home without having an accident because the cramps are really killing me and my legs hurt and I'm sick of it all.

Mile 7 and I stop. But...Im still about .30 miles from home. I walk. I walk the walk of survival because I know that if I dont get to the house soon....well.....Im gonna have my first ever accident.

I get to the house and make it to the potty wet self and all......

It was the suckiest most awful run ever. And its raining still today....and I didn't get to redeem myself.

Ok, it's time for a running make over. I went out and bought a roller for my sore hamstrings and glutes. I'm going to eliminate the junky junk food, get more protein in my diet, hit the gym at least once a week and ride my bike. Something has gotta give here because my running has gone down hill since the marathon.

I'm going to shoot for the Elizabeth River Run 8K next weekend and kick off a new season of training! Hope everyone had a restful and DRY weekend ;-)

7 comments:

The Laminator said...

I think the whole country had rain this weekend...definitely made for some interesting running stories. Way to get in the miles even with all the bad weather!

Felice Devine said...

Sounds rotten.I hope this week is a lot better!

Sam said...

Hope your week is going better!!
It already so hot out here....I got started late on a run last week and lets just say that 103 degrees + running does not make the most user friendly workout! :P

Good Luck at ur 8k

Hone said...

It sounds like you had a bad day out there. Look on the bright side....at least you didnt have an accident out there (that is why I am a mountain runner). Ha!

You will get out of the post marathon funk. After you run your first 100 miler than you will wish you only had a marathon funk to worry about. I havent felt good in 2 years. =)

chris mcpeake said...

Post marathon funks suck but go away in time. Hate those crappy run days but they are always offset with many more good days.

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

aww, just think, sucky runs make the good runs feel SO much better! Good for you for sticking it out to 7!

hailey said...

Hi, Great information! Would you please consider sharing my link to your readers? Please email me back at haileyxhailey gmail.com.

Thanks!
Hailey

Summer Vacation