Sunday, January 18, 2009

Past, Present.....Future



Seems like lately on several of my runs....I am constantly thinking about how my running has changed from this time last year to now. My transformation from then to now still amazes me and I still can't believe I made it this far.

I was checking on my Garmin downloads from last year at this time when I was again...training for the Shamrock Marathon. My paces and results are vastly different:

Past:                                                                         
1/12/08  7 miles 1:06  9:31 mpm                                
1/15/08  8 miles 1:16   9:30 mpm                             
1/18/08  8 miles 1:14  9:18 mpm 
                               
Present:
1/12/09 7 miles 58 min 8:16 mpm
1/17/09 13.1 miles 1:51 8:30 mpm
1/18/09 7 miles 57 min 8:10 mpm

In just one year, I am running much stronger and way faster. Those past 9+ minutes per mile were my fastest and hardest of the entire training cycle. As I look farther into my training last year, I see the times get slower.....like 10 minutes plus. I don't even want to post my long run paces. Eeks...

So, its a big plug for the speed work. That has been a major help for me.

As for my future pace.....well......I'm hoping for my BQ pace of 8:45 or better. Time will tell....

This was a crazy COLD week of running. Man.....it tested my will for sure and THANK GOODNESS for Running Buddy....if wasn't for the fact that she was just as willing to suck it up as I was, I would have pussed out for sure. 

Wednesday started the arctic blast with temps barely making it into the 30's. Running Buddy and I did a mid week long run of 9 miles at a pace of 8:40. Thursday was speed work on the boardwalk. We were on for 6x800 meters @ 3:23. Well, temps were right at 30 degrees with a a very very stiff north wind. We started in the north direction for the first 3 repeats and that almost killed us both. Our repeat times were not good......3:25, 3:40, 3:45. Then we turned around into the wind for the last 3 and came much closer to target....3:23, 3:24, 3:25. Not bad considering how cold and zapped we both were.

Friday, we did a 6 mile recovery run after school with the temps only in the 20's. Saturday we did our long run of 13 miles at a target pace of 8:30 mpm. It was terribly cold again.....22 degrees at the start. But the pace warmed us quickly and we were hot messes at the end. I am so proud of my partner for really holding a pace she never thought she could.

Today, it snowed on my 7 miler.....it was so wonderful. It didn't stick of course, but it sure was pretty to see nickel sized flakes falling on me as I zoomed through the 'hood!

Stay warm friends and congratulations to all the marathoners this weekend! 

15 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome progress!! I can't wait to see if I can get that fast!! :)

joyRuN said...

You give me hope, Kelly. I don't think I work as hard as you though.

Aron said...

you are doing soooo awesome!!! i definitely think you will get that BQ :)

The Laminator said...

Nice work. It's always fun to compare the progress you've made from year to year. You have gotten fast and a B.Q. is definite in the short future for you.

Amy said...

Keep up the awesome progress!

Anonymous said...

my running partner rocks!! :) we kicked cold weather butt!

Sarah said...

Wow - that is awesome!

Great job!!

Frayed Laces said...

This is why i love to track my runs. DDYA!

Hone said...

Progress just feels good. Just think how strong you will be next year if you keep it up.

Kelly said...

I think that makes sense, speedwork would make me speedier. Great job on all the runs. Can't wait for the BQ!

Jynx Jynx Jynx OFF!

Sam said...

FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!

Mendy said...

Wow! Some challenging weathered runs you've had lately and great sticking with it. You've really improved a LOT over a year, and you were great last year with your paces. Awesome job! really paid off.

todd said...

I think you are awesome and you are such an inspiration to me

Sincerely,

Wonder Boy

joyRuN said...

Hey girl -
Just wanted to touch base & make sure everything's okay :) I need your posts for inspiration, you know.

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow!! Great progress!!! KEEP IT UP!!! Yay!!!

Summer Vacation