Thursday, September 18, 2008

Girl Power

I went for a 6 mile recovery run yesterday after work and well except for some sore muscles from Tuesday's 9 miler on the beach boardwalk IN THE WIND......the 6 mile recovery run was uneventful. 

So, I get back towards my house and stop on mile 6.10 and walk back up my street when these two cute little girls come flying out towards me from my neighbor's yard.  And they are staring at me with curiosity.  

I took off my headphones and they immediately surround me and ask...

"How many hours did you walk today?" I had to laugh....and I said "Well girls...today I just walked for an hour."  And they responded "Wow.....but your back is so sweaty!!!" Then they walked passed me and replied to each other "I'm going to jog now......"  "me too!!" and they sprinted off like bats out of hell.....two little girls racing each other....running up the street for the pure joy of beating each other to the corner.  

Full on girl power......

Today, I ran with Running Buddy and Running Gal Pal......it's the first time I have gone running with my partner in almost 2 weeks.  We did some intervals on the "track" or I should say sidewalk that surrounded the football field since the "real" track was occupied. Running Gal Pal is in the early stages of her running obsession and did a superior job of keeping the pace on the intervals....considering my Running Buddy and I are pretty fast.

After running 4 minute intervals of fast pace and 4 minutes of recovery (4 times)....we finished up our last lap pretty strong. But being the self-appointed "obsessive coach" to these two twenty-something young chickitas.....I scream...."Ok girls let's make these last 30 seconds count!! Pick it up and GO!"

And off they went like two bats out of hell.....with something to prove.....or wanting to beat each other....or wanting to beat me. Wouldn't you know these two young and inexperienced chicks kicked my sorry old ass to the end?? 

And as they sprinted past me, I saw the two young girls on my street yesterday who challenged each other to a jog.........enjoying the sprint for the pure act of beating each other to the end.

What a treat to run with such strength, determination and youth....ahhh...very refreshing.....it's what inspires me the most.

Full on girl power!





6 comments:

KrissyGo! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KrissyGo! said...

Oh, that last image is so fantastic! It's one of my favorite things about sport and play!

Anonymous said...

I love this post - what a great reminder of running for the pure joy of running!

When I was young, I remember seeing a woman (probably in her 20's) running regularly in our neighborhood. I thought...how cool, she looks so strong, I want to be like that! I really influenced me to run. I have a feeling you are a positive influence to those little girls :-)

Anonymous said...

oops
I meant..."It" really influenced me not "I" really influenced me :b

Marcy said...

Kids are so cute! GIRL POWER!! WHOOO HOOOO!!

I also dig the Pretendo on the right. Very cool!

Lily on the Road said...

Cute, every little girl needs a positive role model...good for you, and you didn't even know it...sweet.

Summer Vacation