Sunday, December 28, 2008

Electric Shock and 20 miles


Here is a new analogy for my love of track workouts....electric shock treatment. Yup, that's what it felt like on Friday. You all probably think I'm some sort of nut.....track beast, track monster and now electric shock therapy. I wonder how many negative terms I can come up with during this training cycle.

Anyway.....

MISSION:

1000m @ 4:16 TIMES 5...ugh..

#1 4:10 opps....I couldn't seem to get it right the first time on the track and I felt like I just had the shit shocked out of me....ZAAAPPPP
#2 4:21 now that's more like it but I thought for SURE I was going to yak....had to bend over.
#3 4:16 NAILED it....with another wave of yakage....
#4 4:22 I couldn't hold on but I didn't feel like puking....maybe not pushing hard enough??
#5 4:22 I was toast.... literally

Sort of Accomplished

I'm not unhappy with my results because I did work my ass off and it wore me out so bad I went home and took a huge nap. Yipes....

Yesterday was a gorgeous day and a scheduled 20 mile run and I had my first fight with Running. Yes, I got SO mad I swear I teared up. I could not BELIEVE my GPS for one thing....when I got to mile 18 I felt like I really should have been on  mile 19 and my legs were screaming for me to PLEASE stop. It was very frustrating and honestly I felt very emotional. I just couldn't push my legs to go a little faster on the last 2 miles. I was so mad but so glad to be done.

Results: 20 miles @ 8:55 total time 2:58

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Mine was exceptional as always and I am so grateful for the love of my family, Wonder Boy and all the things we have in our lives. I couldn't be more blessed.

The New Year looms....and I have been thinking A LOT about where I was in my running this time last year. Whoa.....that will be a post in itself.

Next week is Hair of the Dog 5K on New Year's Day and Wonder Boy and I will run together. Then, Saturday the local Distance Series Tune up begins for the Shamrock Marathon. Good stuff to look forward to!!!

Hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!

7 comments:

joyRuN said...

Yeah. Sooo not looking forward to anymore dates with the track. One day I'm gonna have to suck it up & get back over there. In the meantime, I'll just cringe in sympathy to your suffering.

Great great job on the 20! I usually end up wanting to jump up & down ON my Garmin when I hit the point that the mile counter seems to stop counting.

Meredith said...

I think you're running too hard for your distance runs. Most say that they should be a good 1-2 minutes slower than your race pace. It's okay to do some pacing inside a long distance workout, but you're not helping yourself by running race pace for all your workouts.

I recommend reading "Advanced Marathoning" by Pete Pfitzinger. It's got a lot of great information regarding long, slow running.

Aron said...

awesome job on pushing through some tough runs! that will pay off come race day. i totally know that whole emotional feeling, i had that breakdown on an 18 miler but i actually did start crying mid run. great job again and glad you had a great christmas!

Shoe Running said...

Ooo! That looks like a track workout I should try...I never did track in school, so I am trying to figure out how to get faster. I have a love/hate relationship with track workouts...there is the pain, but then afterward, it feels fantastic!

Good work out there! :)

Mendy said...

Track dates just plain suck. You did great though and should be proud of those figures. bummer on the long run. good job really pushing through it!

KrissyGo! said...

Wow. I am in awe of you!

Unknown said...

Happy new year!

Summer Vacation