Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Endings and Friendship






















"Sometimes me think what is love....and then me think love is what last cookie is for. Me give up last cookie for you....." Cookie Monster

My Running Buddy's sacrifice to finish those last miserable, painful and grueling miles with me when I had already given up the fight, will never ever be forgotten.

I have been and still am in post marathon depression, which I googled by the way and it is a REAL condition. Wow, so in addition to some muscle soreness you get to experience a little emotional emptiness. I looked at my split times a little more closely and well....here is the low down:

8:48 min per mile for the 1/2 marathon (1:55)
8:49 min per mile up to the 20 mile mark (2:56)
BAM! 9:58 min per mile and the dreaded WALL

And well, I was right on target for my Boston Qualifying time of 3:50 until mile 20. Before I even knew my splits I had given up the race for Boston. Even Wonder Boy tried to encourage me not to give up around mile 18, but the pain was more than I felt confident I could endure.

And I whimpered about it to Running Buddy....and she had many words of encouragement. But I couldn't convince my heart.

And then I thought about how lucky I was to have a good friend finish one of the toughest races I have ever done....and I saw this quote: 

"The most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."(Pierre de Coubertin)

And now I put this marathon to rest and move on to the next.....

7 comments:

joyRuN said...

Damn right, girl! You fought very well.

Running Buddy is AWESOME.

Congratulations!!

Lily on the Road said...

Good job to BOTH of you, runner and supporter!!! Way to go girls.

Marcy said...

CONGRATS AGAIN chica! Phenomenal job ;D ;D

Anonymous said...

BQ or not, that is a smokin' fast time in my book!

I love the cookie monster quote :)

Chic Runner said...

Congrats again, those times are AMAZING! That cookie monster quote is too cute. :)

You are lucky to have such a wonderful running buddy!

Frayed Laces said...

I too gave up on my BQ chance before my split times actually eliminated me. I think I mentally lost it before I physically lost it. Regardless of what happened, way to push through to the finish!

Amy said...

Congrats on the PR!!!!

Yes, PMD (post marathon depression) is a real thing... and I had it after my last two marathons. But, like you said... time to put it to rest and move onto the next one.

And the bright side??? You hit the wall and still managed a PR and hitting your main goal! I mean... that's amazing!

Summer Vacation