Saturday, November 29, 2008

Epic Happy Race Report


To say that I am extremely happy with my finish time at Saturday's Race for Literacy 1/2 marathon is putting it mildly.

Here's the story in all it's glory:

Really, I had no aspirations for doing any great time on the course for the simple fact that Thursday's turkey trot was a huge PR and well, this girl just wanted to have fun on the run.

I woke up to cloudy dreary skies...but dry and it SEEMED relatively warm when I let the dog out first thing that morning. It just felt like 50 degrees and I had no doubt that I would wear shorts....and well just bundle my core like I always do.

I also couldn't help but feel just a little "weird" about the race because it was an inaugural event, it was out in a place I had no idea how to get to, I had no idea what the race route would be like, if there would be water, or how much support there would be on the course. Plus, I have been fighting a headache for 2 days and a bit of depression.

So, as I drove out to the race....and made a wrong turn....I said to myself "Self...this could be a bad day all together."

Luckily, with the help of Wonder Boy's reassurance and navigation, I was able to correct my wrong turn, loose no time on the drive and get to the race with 45 min to spare. 

When I got there, parking was plenty. I saw the venue and proceeded to get out of my truck to get my number and WHOOOAAA.....burrrr....the wind was howling off the water and it was about 5-10 degrees colder than it was at my house. 

Questions to self....Did you bring gloves? No.....Did you bring hat? No......Did you bring extra pants? No.... Will you freeze your nads off at this race? Uh...that would be a big fat YES!!!

Ok, just a tip for you all.....socks make good gloves. I had an extra pair of those.

Thank goodness I also had a windbreaker vest in my running bag.

So I sat in my truck for 40 min with the heat on as I waited for the start....watching all these people with gloves and hats and pants on. Damn. I figured I could hack the cold and wind for 2 hours right? I have been in tough conditions before. It was 45 degrees with a stiff North East wind.

I got out of the car for a warm up run and then hit the start line and my goodness...the field of runners was SO small. I figured...heck at best I could place 3rd in my age group. Hell, there were hardly any women.

The field stretched out fast and the freakiest part of the run was that at several moments on the course, I was completely alone with just traffic cones and I questioned where to go several times.

I started out very comfortable and I knew something fishy was up right away when mile marker 1 popped up and my watch said 5:45.....HA HA HA! In my wickedest wildest dreams....yeah, the course was not measured right for the first mile but it got back on target after mile 2 and I was showing 16:20 and that seemed right.

I was cruising man. I felt strong with the exception of shin pain for the first 3 miles....but it went away and never bothered me again. I figured it was from the Turkey Trot.

I hit all my mile markers just over an 8 mpm pace....I was grinning from ear to ear. I thought, if I can make it for the first half at that pace and still feel good, I may actually break my PR from Fleetweek.

Well, mile 6 came and went and I was still feeling like a champ and the watch said 49 min. Then my mind races and starts doing the math....I was on track for close to a 1 hour 45 min finish. My heart started to pound as I got very excited.

Mile 7 then mile 8 and all is still good in the legs, lungs and heart. Still doing some math in my head......

Now I'm on mile 9 and just a bit off of my goal time.....and I think ......can I pick it up for 4 more miles? Then, there was a head wind. Yuck....focus focus focus....

Then Missy and Beyonce came on the ipod just around mile 10 and I was feelin' the love! I kicked it up just a bit despite the head wind that followed me to the end.

I got to mile 12.2 at 1:38.......boy was I getting anxious....and my stomach started to churn.

As I got closer to the end....a very popular and local runner jumped out on the course and proceeded to pace me all the way to the mat and my official finish time was 1:46:16. Yipee skippy!!! I was happy but ready to barf.

Here I am ready to barf.....


Not only was my time great, I got second place in my age group....but then there were only 3 chicas in my age group!  HA HA! I missed first place by 40 seconds....but I met the girl that beat me and I shook her hand and congratulated her at awards and she said to me "you kept me going-" Aww...snap!

So, I reflect on so many things today....particulary my readiness to actually train for a Boston Qualifying time for the next 17 weeks. I think I'm ready....I think I'm in a super amazing place in my running. 

Just this time last year, I was struggling for 10 min miles.

For a girl who never believed in herself....I never believed I was pretty, or smart, or a good friend/girlfriend......I never believed I was strong or confident. I never believed I was an athelete or talented in anyway. I never believed I could......

But that is starting to change.....like maybe I believe I can do this. Maybe I am strong....maybe I am a real runner now.

Stay warm and dry on your runs my blogger pals.......




14 comments:

Amy said...

Wow. You are just PRing all over the place lately. That's awesome and there's nothing like feeling like you are going to puke as soon as you finish race... at least you know you gave it your all at the finish (thats how I like to look at it at least).

Anyway, April and I wanted to ask you if you'd be willing to be our Weekly Pace Setter this friday! If you're interested, shoot me an email at ayusc02@gmail.com and I'll send you the interview questions and information, etc!

joyRuN said...

WHAT?! Struggling for 10-min miles a year ago????

You're giving me hope that I can be less slowpokity.

Speedwork? Hill training? Sheer awesomeness? How'd you do it?

26.2 Princess said...

Hi! Glad you found my blog, and found it amusing. Its always fun to connect and keep up with other running bloggers. Congrats on your great times! I'm very impressed, speedy! I look forward to reading more about your running adventures!

Marcy said...

Amy is right! Dang girl you ARE PR0ing all over the place! SWeet, sweet, sweet job! You killed that baby! ;D

Chic Runner said...

WOW! Great job! I am jealous! :) You look great in the pictures too! Congrats congrats and happy belated birthday!

Steve Stenzel said...

WOW!! Nice job!! That first photo DOES look like you're about to barf...

Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are ready for anyting girl!! You work so hard and earn every PR you get. Very inspirsational :-)

Hey, if I do decide to write again on my blog and it's private, you will be invited for sure!! I'm just needing a break right now. It will be private soon but there won't be any posting from me for now. Thanks so much for your very kind comments and support with my running, etc.

Go get that BQ!! I know you will!!

Hone said...

You are a real runner with that time!! Good job.

Lisa said...

You are totally my hero! I'm currently struggling for 10 min miles so your success gives me hope! Just glad you had some extra clothing with to survive the cold. (Maybe you ran faster just to get out of it??) ha ha

April said...

Wow!! Great race report and of course you are a real runner!!!! ou are a SUPER runner:)

p.s. I love that a basset hound is watching you finish your race. ha!

Jen said...

Wow, I am just beginning running. You inspire me and make me realize that I can!!

Felice Devine said...

I just read your interview over at 26.2. Very nice! And, you have a great site. Congratulations on your race.

billdowis said...

I just stumbled on this race report from another bog...

Inspiring!

I just started running four months ago and I currently am struggling to keep 10 minute miles... and that is during 5k's.

I would like to run the Philly Marathon next year, and you just gave me hope that I will finish with a respectable time.

and after that... who knows?

I am going to follow your blog and be here when you BQ!

Crackhead said...

You are a real runner! Tomorrow when you wake up, look in the mirror and say I ROCK! You do.

Summer Vacation