Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Light at The End of the Tunnel


Running Buddy and I completed our last 20 miler today and I think we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We have been struggling with these last few long runs and Running Buddy has been mostly compelled to stop dead in her tracks just before or slightly after the half marathon point. She gets discouraged and then well, the run just sucks from there and mentally its over in her head.

But, this time, knowing it was our last shot at a good long run.....and the last time we will flirt with the marathon distance until the marathon......I planned the pace out just right based on her 1/2 marathon time from last weekend's Fleetweek race.

I crunched out some numbers and came up with a 3 hour and 10 min finish based on a 9:45 mpm pace for the first 13.1 miles and then a negative split time of 9:30 mpm for the last 7.

And BAM! We did it without stopping (except for a brief period to drink and eat some shot blocks). Not only did we make it....we did the last mile at 8:30. I have NEVER seen my Running Buddy finish so strong. We knocked out the 20 miles in 3 hours and 12 min.  I have to add that there was an extremely stiff north wind blowing today at 15mph sustained with gusts up to 20 at the beach.

It was the confidence boost Running Buddy needed for OBX coming up in 3 weeks.

I got a little emotional in the car on my way home as this last 20 miler is a little bitter sweet. I have put so much of my own heart and soul into helping Running Buddy achieve her goal and at the same time get myself to a better level of running that I am completely emotionally drained as much as I am physically tired from the rigors of this training cycle.

I just can't believe I did it without quitting because, unfortunately, its a nasty little character flaw of mine (quitting). Many times, I was ready to quit and let Running Buddy handle her own training. But after today's run....it's been all worth it.

Now, I can sit back and taper with a smile....let Running Buddy go do her thing at OBX and know that I was a part of getting her to her goal.

As far as the emotional emptiness goes......I know I gave it all.....the advice.....the motivation.....the pushing and coaching and just being there for every run....knowing when to let go and when to stay. It has brought me to my knees today. As of this last run, it's out of my hands and Running Buddy has to make the rest happen on her own. As far as the race goes.....we decided to run at our own paces. It's not what my heart wants because for me....it's all about the love of running and the camaraderie NOT about speed. But it's what my partner would prefer to do for for fear of holding me back. 

Well now, on a lighter note....here are some pictures to make you laugh. They are indeed a little better than the last race but still....I just DONT take a good picture!

Hope everyone had a fantabulous weekend!

                                            BEFORE (Fleetweek 2006)                                                                            



 AFTER (Fleetweek 2008)            


HAPPY ME! Another PR!


6 comments:

Marcy said...

You guys did fabulous!! Awesome!

What are you talking about you don't take a good picture? You look GREAT! Dang I wish I could look like that.

joyRuN said...

Congrats on nailing your 20 miles!

I need a running buddy/coach/friend like you :)

And I agree with Marcy. Nice abs, girl!

Frayed Laces said...

Awesome run! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Great training - you are a good friend and training partner.

Congrats to both of you on the 20 miler :)

Chic Runner said...

Awesome job! Way to keep it going even though it was a LONG run! :)

And ps. CAN I HAVE YOUR BODY!?! WHAT THE!!!! I'm jealous!

Dad said...

Great Running Diary w/ sincere relationships-enjoying both-I am staying tuned..
Dad

Summer Vacation