Saturday, October 11, 2008

Stupid Nerves



I have been sitting on pins and needles since Wednesday about the half marathon coming up tomorrow.  Ugg....its randomly wreaking havoc on my digestive system too.

Not that I don't think I can do this thing tomorrow....lord knows I have run several half marathons. But my expectations for tomorrow are making me nuts in my head and causing me to have obsessive thoughts about pace and time and performance....and lions and tigers and bears oh my!

I went for a 7 mile race pace run last night to try to ease my jitters. There was a TERRIBLE head wind up the boardwalk for the first 3.5 miles but I managed to hold an 8:30mpm. Of course the turn around was great and I held a 7:30mpm for the rest of the way. Total time was roughly 55 min. Although it should make me feel confident....it really doesn't because my mind always wanders to the "cup half empty" side.....and I start saying to myself "what if my ankle starts to hurt, what if there is a headwind, what if my hammies start to slow me down??"

I WHAT IF myself to DEATH.

Then the nerves roll in when I think about trying to run somewhere between an 8mpm and an 8:15. Just don't know if I can do it.

So I was in a nervous funk last night that ruined my evening with Wonder Boy.

I made the mistake of watching "Spirit of the Marathon" in the middle of the night last night which gave me freaky dreams.


An absolute MUST SEE for those of you obsessed with the Marathon

I'm beginning to sound like a nut case!  AH....just breath......

Well, off to go pick up my packet for tomorrow's race.

If nothing else, I'm very excited to be running this 1/2 marathon knowing there are so many others out there pounding the pavement too this weekend! I look forward to stalking everyone's race reports!





2 comments:

joyRuN said...

So sorry about the infernal jitters. I guess a glass of vino to chillax wouldn't be the greatest idea.

GOOD LUCK tomorrow! Can't wait to read YOUR report :)

Anonymous said...

I know you will do great and can't wait to hear all about it!!

Selfishly, it's nice for me to hear that even such an amazing, fast runner like you gets nervous too :-)

Summer Vacation