Sunday, August 17, 2008

Wonder Woman






I had the most amazing brick workout today.  I just wanted to go out and do my "recovery" 6 mile end of the training week run.  I laced up the shoes and I felt pretty good today after being wickedly depressed yesterday for no rational reason.  I did do a 30 mile easy paced bike ride yesterday afternoon, but it didn't seem to undo the "prickly" and emotionally uneasy feeling I had all day.  I got up today a new woman.  So I went out for my run.  The goal again was to do an easy pace, come in and grab the TT bike and do a 20 mile tempo ride (backwards brick) and round off my workout for the week.

Off I went for the run, GPS and ipod all cookin'.  I try really hard not to look at my pace/time at least for the first 2 miles of my runs and just go by feel, but when I got to mile 1.7 I had to look and I was at 14:55.....I was feeling good and digging it.  I went 3.5 more miles without looking. When I got within minutes of my house, I looked and the GPS time was 45 min.  So I cranked up the pace and decided to just make the run a 10K.  Well, I went to 6.2 and I felt good all the way...not tired and I didn't really have to concentrate.  When I looked at the GPS pace it said 8:30mpm!!  Yipee skippy man!!!  I am finally getting my "comfortable" pace at a sub 9 min. mile.  I'm moving up!

So then I'm so pumped and full of gusto...I grab the TT bike which I call "Old Speedy" and I cranked out a 20 mile ride at 20.5 mph with very little effort.  I didn't get hungry and my legs did not feel like crap.  Now, I realize it WAS reverse brick...but it still did not hurt as bad as it normally does.

After my epic effort, I'm wondering what the HELL did I eat to get that kind of energy?  It sure wasn't the oatmeal, bananas and strawberries I had for breakfast or the coffee.  I have that every day.  Then I thought about the depressive manic state I was in yesterday and the demonic hunger I experienced.  The only thing that would calm the demonic hunger cravings was the multiple servings of Edy's Slow Churn Yogurt Blend ice cream (cappuccino chip) and Captain Crunch cereal which I couldn't get enough of (by the way, it IS my drug of choice). Hmmm.......maybe THAT wicked carbo load yesterday gave me Wonder Woman strength!

Tomorrow starts a new training week and I have to go into work for one day.  We don't "officially" go back to school as teachers until August 25th, but our school system is a little quirky with its requirements.  So I have a one week window of time to put in "8 hours" of professional development time before I "officially" go back.  WhatEVAR........

This week is actually a "fall back" week on my marathon training plan....so no real long run or at least what I would consider a long run.  So I think I will try to concentrate on some swimming in addition to my runs this week.  It's gonna be a bit more hot than it normally has been and there is of course tropical storm "Fay" churning out in the ocean.  I have the ECSC (East Coast Surfing Championship) 5k on Saturday.  Hopefully it won't rain...but I say BRING IT ON...if it does...I will just scarf up my ice cream and Captain "crack berries" and bust a move!

1 comment:

MoonChaser said...

you REALLY are Wonder Woman. It's nice having such a strong girl to look up to... and HEY so what if I'm only 25!!!! :)

Summer Vacation